It’s 4th of July BBQ time and the best way to make a splash is to bring dessert to the party. If you don’t have time to bake a homemade cake, stop by your local market or Fresh Direct and pick up a sheet cake with white frosting. The key to this cake is the topping and it’s a fun recipe to do with kids.
American Flag Cake Decorating Instructions
- 2 pints of strawberries (or raspberries or any other small red fruit)
- 1 pint of blueberries (or any other small blue fruit)
- Any flavor cake prepared in a 9×13 baking dish
- White/vanilla frosting for the base of the cake
- Spread the icing generously over the cooled cake.
- In the top left-hand corner of the frosted cake, arrange the blueberries into an outline of a rectangle that is about 5 inches wide and 4 inches tall. Press the berries down into the frosting. Fill the inside of the rectangle with the remaining blueberries. The blueberries look best if placed in rows, then the icing between them resembles stars.
- Place strawberry halves cut-side down in rows going across the cake horizontally. If you want to be accurate, the bottom stripe of the flag is red and there are 13 stripes on the flag! Be sure to press the berries down into the frosting so the stripes will not be raised above the frosting.
For a special treat, add some sparklers to the cake for a small fireworks display.